In Laramie’s early days, fires always posed a serious threat. Without a fire department, the best one could hope for was that a fire did not spread and cause too much damage. In time, a volunteer fire department was formed and a “bucket brigade” was put into place.
The Laramie Fire Department formally organized in August of 1875 with their first firehouse located at what is now the corner of 3rd and Custer. The three-story building in the background is the Holliday Building, which burned down in 1948.