Old Main, built in 1886, is the first and oldest remaining building on the University of Wyoming campus in Laramie, Wyoming.
The style of Old Main set a precedent for all future University buildings. The main stone used is rough-cut sandstone from a quarry east of Laramie, and the trim stone is smooth Potsdam Sandstone from a quarry near Rawlins, WY. Old Main was designed to be a monumental structure and to be a symmetrical building with a prominent central spire as its focal point. The building was also designed to reflect the character of Wyoming. The rough stone and smooth trim represented the progressing frontier.
Currently, Old Main houses university administration, including the President’s Office and the boardroom where the Trustees often meet.